God is on a mission to make himself known to his people. By living within creation, God’s people make God’s mission known. As God’s image bearers, we are called to remove ourselves from sin. God doesn’t let sin get the last word but He saves his children from their sin through Jesus Christ.
- God makes his presence known through his image bearers
- God removes his presence from sin but remains on mission
- God promises his presence again
The sermon both comforts and challenges us. Our natural inclination is to mess stuff up. Jesus Christ won security for us and we are now free to be honest about our sin. Jesus Christ now defines us and gives us our identity, not our sin. Grace flows downhill to the poor and humble and He works through our weaknesses for His glory. God’s will will prevail through the Church, as broken as she is.
What are God’s New Year’s resolutions for you?
- Cheer up! You’re far worse than you think.
- Cheer up! God’s grace is much greater than you can imagine.
- Cheer up! God works through our weakness.
- Cheer up! God’s kingdom/plan will eventually prevail.
- How did it all being – Creation
- What went wrong – Rebellion
- How is it going be fixed – Redemption in Jesus
- What is going to happen, in the end – Glory in heaven
- The rise to King David (14 generations)
- The falling to the deportation to Babylon
- The rise back to Jesus
5 Women in the family tree- all had sordid histories
- God can and does overcome sin.
- He works through fallen people to achieve His Glory
- He comes to save sinners and works through sinners
Jesus has come to fix your broken family tree.
- Repent & Rebuild (1-6)
- Get over the past & look forward to the future (7-8)
- Your future will involve suffering, but ultimate victory will come through a future shepherd (9-14)
Live a life of continual repentance and God will forgive and show you mercy. Turn your regret and sorrow into rejoicing. Be fearless, strong and full of hope. God purposes to do His people good. Jesus Christ is the branch who saves us from our sin.